Home Horse Fun 6 Things You Didn’t Know About The Fjord Horse

6 Things You Didn’t Know About The Fjord Horse

by ihearthorses
5019 views

The Norwegian Fjord Horse is one of the most easily recognized horses in the world. From his distinct compact body to his creamy coat color, (and of course that insane mane!) you can tell a Fjord from a single glance. But how well do you know this adorable equine? Take a look at these interesting facts about the Norwegian Fjord Horse.

#1 – One of the oldest breeds

According to the Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry, they are one of the world’s oldest and purest breeds. It is believed the breed migrated to Norway over 4,000 years ago and was domesticated then. (nfhr.com)

Image source: @HunterDesportes via Flickr

Image source: @HunterDesportes via Flickr

#2 – They are not all brown duns

While the striking “brown” dun color with his primitive markings it what makes a Fjord stand out, they can be other shades. 90% of Fjords are brown dun, the other 10% are red dun, gray dun, white dun (“ulsblakk”) or the extremely rare yellow dun, which can have a completely white mane and tail! (nfhr.com)

A grey Fjord By Altmeier - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0,

A grey dun Fjord By Altmeier – Own work, wikipedia

#3 – They rarely have white markings

While almost every other breed of horse has some form of white markings, they are extremely rare in the Fjord horse. A small star is the only acceptable mark (due to one being present in a foundation stallion). If a horse has more than this, he or she is not acceptable for breeding.

f3 horse-1010813_640

#4 – One of the purest breeds

Although Arabians have been carefully bred for generations, the Fjord horse has one of the longest history of pure breedings – they have found evidence of over 2,000 years of selective breeding while excavating Viking burial sites – without crossbreeding from other horses.

f4 horse-97335_640

#5 – An Emblem

Use as an emblem on the coat of arms of two municipalities in Nordfjord – Gloppen and Eid.

f5 emblem

Gloppen (left) & Eid (right)

 

#6 – A strange standard

Most horse breeds have an easy to understand standard that involves things like body composition, movement and even disposition. The Norwegian Fjord Horse does have these, but it’s definitely not “black and white.”

“The breed standard is difficult to express in precise terminology. The Norwegians describe their impression as ‘got mote’ which means a horse should have a nice and pleasant appearance.” (nfhr.com)

By Pete Markham - originally posted to Flickr as That's a LOT of horse power!, CC BY-SA 2.0,

Image source: Pete Markham – wikimedia.org

 

 

Comments

You may also like

Leave a Comment